A fenced public enclosure was established on the strip of land bordering the northside taxiway in front of the control tower ......
....which expanded westwards onto a grass area ,the future site of the eastern tunnel access slope
Visiting aircraft of interest would occasionally be displayed to the public alongside the enclosure. Heathrow runways had originally been designed for 'very heavy bombers' in WWII and USAF B-29s did visit L.A.P. from 1948....here approaching runway 33R over the A4 Colnbrook by-pass
and alongside the enclosure fence with airline steps for public viewing
BOAC Stratocruiser G-ALSD displayed on the grass by the enclosures western end 1950?.... houses on left are in Doghurst Gardens/Heathrow Road which survived till about 1951 and were adjacent to Ben's Cafe on the Bath Road.
Hastings TG521 was on public display for the 1949 Battle of Britain commemoration where the eastern tunnel ramp was later built . The large tree behind lay between the Three Magpies pub and the tower.
The Hawker P.1081 which visited L.A.P. in 1950 taxying past the crowded enclosure and Northside tower
At Easter 1954 the ground enclosure was moved to a site above the tunnel to the Central Area and RAF aircraft were exhibited in several Battle of Britain weeks, that for 1958 being particularly memorable
Interesting picture and a help for my efforts in tracking down details of the Pakistani Furies. Was this a picture of the actual Fury used in the record Neville Dukes flight or was it a stock photo used to publicise the flight? Would appreciate confirmation please
The aircraft in the photo was the one used. From part 4 of an article by Ray Williams about the Fury, which appeared in Aeroplane Monthly in March 1986: "Several point-to-point records were established by the Fury family of aircraft. The first of these was set up by Neville Duke on May 12,1949, during the delivery of the Pakistan Air Force Fury K857 (prototype F.2/43 Fury NX802) to Karachi. In fact two records were broken during this flight: London to Rome was achieved in 2hr 31min 51sec, improving by 18min 49sec the record set in November 1948 by a de Havilland Vampire. The 3,948.14 miles from London to Karachi were completed in 15hr 24min, which was 3hr 50min less than the previous record that had been set up in 1946 with an Avro Lancaster."
For 1952 and for the large crowds which visited London Airport in Coronation year, 1953, a 'satellite' enclosure was established between the taxiway and runway No.1 (28R) accessed by walking (escorted) across the live taxiway in front of the tower
The view from inside the large' satellite' enclosure back across the taxiway was ideal for photography with the sunlight from behind.....Northside control tower on the left...LEP Air Services/ Green Dragon building behind G-AHEJ
A large crowd of spectators waiting to cross the taxiway from the 1953 'satellite' enclosure after the Swissair Convair HB-IRV has passed by
Probably just after the 1953 satellite enclosure between 28R and the Northside taxiway had closed at the end of the1953 season, fencing and railings being removed, .. crossing sign reads 'STOP... WAIT FOR THE GREEN LIGHT BEFORE PROCEEDING'...BOAC's G-AMUR taxies out, little used short runway 15L visible under its tail
The ground enclosure , moved to the Central Area at Easter 1954 ,with access through the new tunnel on the 81B bus or by car, foot or bike and was situated on top of the 'bridge' and initially stretching some 100 yards east of the 'bridge' with the Rapides operating there (note the tall concrete mixing tower still in place)
And from the 1955 season the eastern boundary of the ground enclosure was moved back clear of the taxiway....Rapides on the grass ,LHside
A classic view of Air France Languedoc F-BATU on the edge of LAP North's apron ....the wooden picket fenced public enclosure with white marquees distantly visible in front of the control tower...Pan Am and AOA Constellations also present
Long-range passenger services were still using LAP North in 1960, often taxying past the back door of the Green Dragon canteen
The Northside's 'compact' passenger terminal had to cope with 707 and DC-8 passenger loads right through 1961
KLM leased Constellation and Super Constellations to Air Ceylon in the 1950s
KLM and its partner Air Ceylon operated the new Electra to the Northside in 1960 &1961
In the spring of 1961 KLM finally moved its passenger services to the Central Area witha desk in the former Britannic Buildin